Climate Service Infrastructure
A solid up-to-date scientific data base, smooth process flows, a powerful infrastructure in combination with user oriented dissemination tools and well-functioning quality control mechanisms are key elements for the development of our prototype climate service products. The following components can be linked with the term “climate service infrastructure”:
Homepage EURO-CORDEX IMPACT2C web-atlas Homepage IMPACT2C
- Access to the latest generation of high-performance computing: Sufficient computing time and adequate memory are essential prerequisites to perform model simulations and analyze as well as process model data.
- Access to models and analysis tools: In the field of system dynamics modelling we are currently developing a modular system modelling tool, which can be used for various kinds of applications (e.g. a regional system like a city or a river delta). One key objective is to foster the transfer from disciplinary research activities towards inter- to transdisciplinary system driven approaches.
- Access to high-resolution climate change and climate impact data: In the area of generation of high-resolution climate change information that is needed at regional to local scales, we are currently coordinating the EURO-CORDEX initiative. Especially the development of tools for generating local climate change information is currently one important aspect for us.
- Lively interface to practitioners and users of our products: By developing the IMPACT2C web-atlas in the frame of the EU project IMPACT2C we have performed an innovative activity to improve the access of users and stakeholders to standardized, high-quality and multi-sectoral climate change and climate impact information.
- Comprehensive quality control system: Our quality control system is developed and improved continuously towards a common comprehensive quality control concept for all GERICS products and activities (ranging from the generation of raw data output by models to individual service products and our various publications and reports).